As you consider your future with your partner or prepare for marriage, you may be considering a prenuptial agreement. If you are not sure why a prenuptial agreement may be the best choice for you, you can check out our article on five reasons to have a prenuptial agreement.
Whether you are in the early stages of making plans with your partner or are certain you want to move forward with a prenuptial agreement, an important step is meeting with an attorney. When meeting with an attorney for a prenuptial agreement it is important to ask the right questions and gather the right information so you ensure you hire the right attorney for your needs.
Some questions to ask when meeting with an attorney:
- How long have you been handling prenuptial agreements?
- What documentation or information will I need to provide in order to have the prenuptial agreement prepared?
- What are the options for debts or liabilities incurred during the marriage?
- What are the options for maintenance or spousal support based on your individual situation and possible future situations?
- What are the options for income during the marriage (will it be considered separate property or marital property)?
- What can be done if we plan to have children and cut back at work or become a stay at home parent? On the other hand, what can be done to protect me if my spouse decides to cut back at work or become a stay at home parent?
- What are the options for protecting retirement accumulated during the marriage?
- How can I protect current and future business interests?
Our attorneys are here to help answer your questions and walk you through the process of preparing a prenuptial agreement. Contact our office to set up an appointment today.