The decision to proceed with a divorce is not an easy one. Not only can the divorce process be an emotionally difficult time, but it also involves legal procedures that can be confusing if you are not familiar with the ins and outs of family law.
Fortunately, having the right attorney by your side can make all the difference in helping make your divorce as efficient and stress-free as possible.
How to Find the Right Divorce Attorney
When searching for a divorce attorney that is right for you, you should consider the following tips:
1. Consider Experience – While it is true that some attorneys may practice in multiple areas of law, it is important that you choose a divorce attorney with concentrated family law experience. Each area of law has its own statutes and procedures that must be followed, and having an attorney that focuses on family law is paramount to ensuring your divorce proceeds without unnecessary delay or hiccups. Choosing a family law attorney that has experience in your city is also very helpful as your attorney should then be familiar with local court rules and the judges that are in your jurisdiction.
2. Identify the issues – Not every divorce has the same issues. For example, a divorce involving children will look different than a divorce with no child-related issues. Similarly, a divorce involving complex financial issues or substantial marital assets will look different than a divorce involving a modest marital estate. Do you think your divorce will settle or do you anticipate litigation? Knowing which issues may arise in your divorce proceeding will be helpful in selecting an attorney who has dealt with similar issues in the past.
3. Communicate your expectations – Communication is key in any relationship. This is especially true for the attorney-client relationship. It is important that you communicate your expectations for your relationship from the beginning. This will help you and your attorney determine if you are a good fit for each other. This will also help your attorney understand your goals and how you can work together toward a realistic outcome.
In any situation, you should always expect that your attorney:
- Will act within the limit of the law at all times;
- Will not engage in matters that result in a conflict of interest;
- Will only make truthful and honest representations; and
- Will keep you reasonably informed about your progress.
4. Schedule a consultation – You should always schedule a consultation before hiring an attorney. What you discuss during the consultation is confidential, and you should be honest about the facts of your case so the attorney can best determine how they can help you. The consultation should feel like an interview where you ask the attorney about their experience, rates, and approach relative to your situation. You should also treat the consultation as an opportunity to get to know your potential attorney’s personality. Your attorney should be professional, empathetic, and knowledgeable. You will be working closely with your attorney throughout your divorce proceedings, and it is important that you feel comfortable and confident in your choice before moving forward.
Take the First Step Today
At Greenberg & Sinkovits, we are highly experienced in the area of family law and would love to see how we can assist you with your divorce proceeding. If you are looking for an attorney to assist you with your divorce, please reach out to us at 312.905.3013 to schedule a free consultation.